We are a non-for-profit organisation that was founded in 1990 to provide emotional support and to help parents of children with kidney disorders. We can assist you to obtain the best services possible for your child’s needs.
For kidney kids and their families to lead the best lives possible
“To support kidney kids and their families throughout NZ on their journey with kidney disease”
We believe that every child/young person and their family is entitled to be treated with dignity and respect and encouraged to reach the highest level of independence compatible with their kidney disease.
- Caring Attitude – Kidney Kids NZ demonstrates compassionate support and concern for children with kidney disease and their families.
- Responsiveness – Kidney Kids NZ recognises the choices our kidney kids make and encourage each person to take control of his/her life moving into their adult years. We respect the roles that families play in helping their child to make these choices.
- Individualised Support – Kidney Kids NZ acknowledges the needs of our kidney kids and their families can vary significantly and change over time. We seek to understand the individual and offer the right support to each kidney kid and family as they arise.
- Partnerships – Kidney Kids NZ works with a wide range of partners and advocates for quality services for all kidney kids and their families.
Kidney Kids NZ aims to educate our kidneys kids, their families, and the wider public about kidney function and how to keep your kidneys healthy.
Our Support Role
Having a chronically ill child is one of the most draining and difficult tasks a family can face. The physical challenges, medical needs, and emotional demands can have a huge impact on the entire family.
Our Family Support Services are designed to offer support in each of these areas, to all members within the family structure including parents/caregivers, siblings and our kidney kids.
- We provide support through:
- Resources & Information
- Strengthening Families
- Settlement Support
- Kidney Kid Development
We organise support group meetings, coffee mornings, educational evenings, and special events. We hold two annual camps each year for our kidney kids who are at, or near, end stage renal failure (ESRF) and kidney kids who are experiencing social distress.
Community Liaison Parent Regional Coordinators
Kidney Kids NZ develop and maintain community networks by being involved in community activities, attending meetings, and liaising with the media as appropriate. With the help and support from our Parent Regional Coordinators it is our aim that all or families are connected within their wider communities.